Saturday, 8 June 2013

Part 16

The cafeteria has a strange smell; a mix of antiseptic and bitter coffee with a hint of sickly sweetness that always follows the ill and infirm. The hairs on my neck stand on end and, not for the first time, nor the last, I wonder what compels me to stay here, surrounded by the near dead, away from the vibrancy of life that inspires my art. There is a strange beauty to be found here I guess, but it's a dark beauty that becomes all consuming. Too many artists fell down that well before me. So why am I still here? For her...?

"That will be $26.50 Sir."

"Hmm?"

My brain snaps back from its musings and I take in the heavily make-upped and overly bubbly teen standing behind the counter.

"Oh right, sorry, I spaced out for a sec."

She flashes me a smile so wide I wouldn't be surprised if her lips touched her ears.

"That's O.K. Sir." she gives me a surreptitious wink "The med's they give you here can do that."

"Oh, I'm not a patient here -" she gives me a blank smiley stare. " - Never mind. Here you go."

She takes the cash I proffered.

"Enjoy your day Sir."

I return her smile

"Will do. You too."

Food purchased and pleasantries exchanged I start making my way back to the Christine's room.
Questions flood my mind, so many questions. What happened to her? Why the monthly trips to the hospital? Why doesn't she want to talk about her father? Why are her family and friends not here? Does she have friends? But, most importantly, why do I care? I'm still pondering these things when I realise I'm opening the curtain around Christine’s bed. I must have been on Auto-pilot.

"Hope you like Lasagne, it was the only thing there that didn't look like an extra from a B-Grade sci-fi movie."

Christine sits herself up, she has that tight smile on her lips that doesn't quite reach her eyes.

"Thanks."

"No problem." I pass her the, hospital issue, plastic container that holds her lasagne and protects it from whatever bugs are floating around this place. Then we sit and eat in silence.

*********

I finish my meal before Stephen does; not surprising, as he seems to stop and think about every mouthful. Least he won't get indigestion.

"Why are you hanging around?"

He seems confused for a second

"Don't know to be honest. You looked like you could use the company I guess."

He glances around as if to point out the fact that he's the only one here.

"O.K., but, why do you care? We only know each other through work and even then it's not what
I'd call an overly companionable relationship."

He blinks a few times and then looks me straight in the eyes

"I was just asking myself the same question."

1 comment:

  1. B-Grade sci-fi movie...is there any other type of sci-fi?! Nice work Case. Keep 'em coming...

    ReplyDelete