Sunday, 4 August 2013

Part 21

After a week of seeing her walk around in a formless hospital gown, I didn't realise the Audrey Hepburn look-alike in the figure hugging scarlet number walking towards my table was Christine. Thankfully, as she was being seated, I had time to gather my composure.

"I see the wait was worth it."

Christine shoots me a puzzled look, so I grab my phone and pull up the message she sent me. "Oh." is all she says before her face nearly turns the same colour as her dress.

"Thank you. You look handsome yourself."

An awkward silence settles as my mind suddenly blanks on something to say. Small talk is not my forte.

"How come I've never seen you in a suit before?"

Christine to the rescue. I look down at the tailored grey straight jacket I'm wearing.

"I hate them, but mum keeps buying them every time she sets me up on my next 'date'. I have a whole cupboard full of suits, in every shade of grey imaginable, because mum insists that grey makes my eyes pop."

************

"She's right." I think to myself as Stephen distractedly fusses with his hated suit.

"Pardon?"

Crap! I said that out loud?

"If you hate wearing them so much, why'd you wear one tonight?"

"Because I wanted to dress up for you and all my other clothes are covered in paint." He grins sheepishly and I can feel the heat rising in my cheeks again.

"This isn't a date!" blurts out before I can stop it, but, Stephen just smiles and seems to relax.

"Good. Now that's settled, shall we order dinner? I'm starving."

No comments:

Post a Comment